City suggestions

How much work does it actually take to make a new map?

What about Venicehttp://www.ransen.com/art/Venice/ACTV_MAP.gif] They don’t have a rail metro but they have a dense network of river taxis

Hey, would it be possible to make a map on Singapore? It is a small island but with a rather complete train network that is still expanding to cater to every household within 400m of a train station by 2030!

This is the current map now: https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicTransport/img/20170619-train-system-map-future_v2.jpg

I love the idea, Venice is an interasting map, but i would like to see Rome and Milan come out first as they have interesting metro systems. Also the river Tiber flows through Rome and its metro has stops right outside Vatican City. That could be an interesting map as well.

• Agree on Tokyo, Stockholm and Rotterdam (Actually, use the entire Kanto area for Tokyo extending all the way to Shizuoka and Chiba for the geography, and density distribution)
  • The geography of Copenhagen is also pretty interesting.
  • How about Pyongyang? I suppose many players would be interested in playing North Korea. And to reflect the characteristic of Pyongyang, can it have both subway and trams?
  • The old ropeway and cable car system in Chongqing are interesting but I cannot think of how that could be implemented into the game.

How about having some maps that are entire countries or regions. Examples could be the South East of England (Sussex, Surrey, Kent etc) as it has an extremely dense network. Doing maps like this also opens up opportunities for new features, such as rival AI or player companies where its survival of the fittest or something like that

Los Angeles reminds a lot of the map Sao Paulo we have in the game right now.

I’ve seen in Chinese communities like Minimetro in Baidu Tieba that most Chinese players want Guangzhou to be added to the game.
Guangzhou, a major Chinese harbour city on the south coastline of China, ranked 37th in GFCI, has just celebated its 20th anniversary of its metro. Guangzhou, like Montreal, has a landscape featuring rivers cutting land into many parts and forming isles, making the city a recommendable map for the game. Since the opening of the first segment, with the blooming economy and the boost of 2010 Asian Games, the metro network has developed into a large network of 8 lines, 1 APM, and an intercity metro. These lines sum up to 186 in number of stations, 306.8 km in length, and has a 7.36 million daily ridership and an annual 2.568 billion ridership. Now, there are 215.37 km of lines under construction, meaning that Guangzhou metro will develop into a much larger system in the coming years.
So much for the introduction. Chinese players hope Guangzhou to be added to the game!

Thanks for the info! I’m pretty sure Guangzhou is next on the list of Chinese cities to be added. It was one of the contenders for the first mainland spot, can’t actually remember why we picked Shanghai instead.

Rooting for the addition of Singapore map as well!
Singapore currently has 5 lines serving 106 stations in operation, with 3 more coming in the future serving an additional 48 stations. While the older lines are mostly above-ground with about 1/3 stations underground, the newer lines are mostly, if not entirely, underground (e.g. Downtown Line is fully underground).

Some unique challenges posed for the Singapore train lines are:

1. The North-South Line (NSL) had to cut through a hill or go under ground level at certain sections of its line (multiple passable obstacles).
  2. The Downtown Line (DTL) had to go from side-by-side to vertically-stacked at one of its station because it was squeezed between a major canal and the deep foundation of nearby buildings (impassable obstacles).
  3. There’s a large reservoir in the middle of Singapore, which so far the government is not allowing any tunnels to go underneath it (large impassable obstacle). This causes all train lines to circumvent it like a giant roundabout.
  4. Recent upgrade of signalling system for the older lines resulted in frequent massive downtimes during peak hours.
  5. Limit land capacity also limits the degree of bend possible for tracks, making it that stations have a minimum distance apart, and you can’t link two stations that are too close for creating tracks in-between.

I see potential new game mechanisms or choices here, such as technological upgrades to improve train speed and pick-up/unload efficiency, large geographical limitations such as specific, large areas that are marked as impassable to above- or under-ground tracks, minimum-degree of bend for tracks so that it is not possible to link a trio of nearby stations in a triangular track formation (i.e. They must be circular, not straight lines, and if the circular lines cannot be fulfilled because of neighbouring impassable areas, then this line cannot be built).

More info below on Singapore’s train system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Rapid_Transit_(Singapore)

If the developers were to add Vancouver into the game, I think it’d be interesting if the third line featured shorter trains (like Cairo or Mumbai). The other lines would have standard-sized trains. This is because short platforms on the Canada Line (Line 3) means it can only handle short trains. Canada Line’s platforms are only half of what they are on the Expo/Millennium (Line 1/Line 2) Lines.

I’m not sure if this is doable but I think this would be a fun mechanic.

I think it’d be cool if you guys were to add a city that was doesn’t really have an extensive metro system but is very well known for its traffic, like Los Angeles, Manila or maybe even Miami. Los Angeles has a metro system but its definitely not very good, the traffic is horrible. Maybe a “connect the huge sprawl of Greater Los Angeles” type scenario? And with Manila being the densest city would be interesting. Greater Miami would be cool I think, with Miami Beach and Key Biscayne off the coast of mainland Florida.

I’m addicted to the game so I’d thought I’d make a suggestion for a new city in the game. I think Dubai might be a good city to include seeing that they have a monorail system already, which you could add like the bullet trains in Osaka. Also, the city is growing so quickly it might make for a scenario like the one in
Hong Kong. Dubai also has the two (only one is currently open) palm islands which would make for some interesting geography.

Sorry it’s actually called the Dubai Metro. Here’s the current map. It only has two lines at the moment and there is also a tram line which you could integrate with the monorail/metro system. They are planning to expand the network in the future.

Map by 2030.

My suggestion for a challenging map is Dublin, Ireland. At the moment, Dublin has a grand total of two tram lines, Red and Green, making up the Luas (Irish for “Speed” system. The two lines aren’t even connected. In December, the Cross City line is expected to open, but it is considered an extension to the Green line. There’s also the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transport), but that’s a whole different type of rail. My concept for Dublin is that it would be like a more difficult version of the London map. With extremely limited lines (2-3), and the River Liffey dividing the city in almost halves, I think Dublin could be a good challenge that makes use of the nature of the city’s light rail.

Maps for reference:
Luas map (Including Cross City): https://www.luascrosscity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Luas-Cross-City-Interchange-Map-1-1024x959.jpg

Map of Dublin rail services, published by Transport for Ireland: https://6fbc941dc3601609010c-fefe0183ab5374c49be7718979d9b9c7.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Dublin_Area_Train_and_Tram_Services.jpg

This could be kinda neat! It would be less about the number of people transported via the metro and more helping to ease off the traffic of the city by having a more efficient system.

I am likely getting way too complicated, but I wonder if we could have a “trust” meter in there somewhere too, ie the people would only choose to leave their car at home and take the metro if they get to work on time regularly, and if they don’t, they go back to using their car.

That’s a fun idea. I don’t know if its something we could implement at this point, but is fun to think about. Cheers!

A trust meter sounds fun, maybe it could be a new “reliability” game mode?

Reliability Mode

Ok I know this sounds stupid but could you do Hyrule from Zelda? The map from Breath of the Wild would be pretty challenging with all its rivers, canyons and mountains. http://i.imgur.com/gaCjFoi.jpg

What color will you choose as the metro lines? Green for classical Link, Purple for SSB Zelda, and blue for BotW Link&Zelda…?