Localisation using Transifex

I’ve just set up our Transifex project and uploaded the first version of the source file. If you would like to contribute:

1. Create a free Transifex account here: https://www.transifex.com/signup/contributor/ and log in.
  2. Browse to the Mini Metro project here: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/mini-metro/.
  3. Select the language that you’d like to help translate.
  4. Click on the “Join Team” button and confirm.
  5. Click on the “Content” resource.
  6. Click on the “Translate now” button.

So far this is just the menu options and city names. Once we get into beta and finalise the in-game UI and upgrades then we’ll add those in as well.

I’ve added the languages that use the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets that we’ve had volunteers or suggestions for. Chinese and Japanese will be added later on.

The list of languages is:

• Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Māori
  • Polish
  • Portuguese (Portugal)
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Russian
  • Spanish

If there’s a language missing that you’d like to see there please post in this thread!

Thank you VERY MUCH for your contributions, being lazy English speakers we wouldn’t be able to translate this without your help. Any assistance is massively appreciated.

Spanish Translation
German translation: some words are strange
European portuguese translation
European portuguese translation

Just finished the German translation for the first words available. I love your game and playing it in my own language will make it even better!

Someone else did Dutch already. I looked over it and made only two changes. Looks good for the rest. Is there a way to “review” these things or is that something only the developers can do?

Just finished the Polish translation. If there happens to be someone else here who knows this fine language, please take a look and polish it if needed.

Is it possible to translate to more than one language? (I did the Brazilian Portuguese translation, and now I don’t see the “Join Team” button in other languages anymore)

Thanks so much everyone! I didn’t expect to wake up this morning and find it almost finished. :slight_smile: I’ve also added the four languages that have been requested: Catalan, Czech, Sinhala (Sri Lanka) and Ukrainian.

We can nominate reviewers for each language who can approve or reject each translation. During my day job I work with a lot of people who have moved to NZ from different countries so I’ll get them to check over the languages that they know and see if we need a review process.

I happen to work with a Pole who also translates on the side, she’s volunteered to take a look as well. Dziękuję!

I’ve just played around with this myself and it seems you have to leave the first language before you can join the second. No idea why, a morning’s worth of Googling hasn’t made me any wiser.

So you have to go to Portuguese (Brazil), click on “View members”, then the “Leave” button next to your name. Then the “Join team” button will appear on other languages.

I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the way I’ve set up the project, it is puzzling why you’d be locked down to only one language.

I have just double checked all German Translations, they look all very good, @IndieTranslator has made some good work. :slight_smile:

If you add Finnish language, I can help contribute

mini-metro_content_fi.pot.zip (1.6 KB)

Alright, I added the Finnish translation to the attachment. Leaderboard is understood, but an alternative Finnish translation would be “Tulostaulukko” (literally “score board”, aka not the same meaning)

Awesome, thanks! I’ve added that into Transifex and uploaded your translations. So if I made any booboos you can edit them there.

I’ve also added Greek, that was a requested language.

One thing I didn’t check was what each language is called in its own tongue. Most of them were easy to find, however there are four that I’m not sure about:

Chinese (Mandarin): 官话
Japanese: 日本語
Portuguese (Portugal): Língua portuguesa
Portuguese (Brazil): Português do Brasil

Do those read correctly? I expected the names of the Portuguese variants to look more similar. :smile:

I reviewed Spanish and changed two words. One for simple gramatical correction (dias en funcionamiento), and the other one because it was only valid for certain latinoamerican-spanish speakers, I think (“Tabla de tanteos” as leaderboard)

I just don’t want words to be changed from latinoamerican to castellan and to latino again and forever, so let’s try to keep things universal. I don’t think that variants are needed as with portuguese.

Is “Clasificación” ok for you?
¿Está bien “Clasificación” para ‘leaderboard’, amigos del otro lado del charco?

The rest are already ok for me.

(Also, first post)

Please add Slovak, I’ll gladly translate.
(I am already a translator on a different project, so I am familiar with Transifex.)

Awesome, thanks! Universal sounds great, if it can be kept as neutral as possible to avoid the need for an extra language option that would be super.

Added! Thanks for your support.

Japanese is fine. I’d put the Portuguese variants as “Português Europeu” and “Português Brasileiro” (Língua portuguesa is not specific enough, just meaning portuguese language)

@SrTena, ¡Hola! I did the original Spanish translation and clasificación sounds a lot better. I actually learned Spanish in Andalucía, but I suppose I could’ve picked up some Latin American words from my Chilean ex-girlfriend. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between the two.

I also did the Dutch and French translations, “leaderboard” was hard to translate in all three.

Why not add “language’s name in its own language” as an entry in the list? You have a list, why not use it to its fullest potential? :smile:

There are two ways of writing Chinese, and ideally there should be two versions of translation:

• Simplified Chinese (used in China and Singapore): 简体中文
  • Traditional Chinese (used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and most oversea Chinese communities): 繁體中文

I’ll try to start translating/checking the Chinese version(s).

By the way, the Chinese (Mandarin) (cmn) language currently on file is a dialect, not a written language system. Its written form is zh_CN, which is commonly called Simplified Chinese but listed in Transifex as “Chinese (China)”.

Chinese (Hong Kong) (zh_HK) and Chinese (Taiwan) (zh_TW) are both written with Traditional Chinese; the difference is their spoken language systems. The former uses Cantonese; the latter, Mandarin.

Thanks! I’ve added those names in. As @Erik_Leppen suggested I’ll be adding in the names of the language into the language files themselves so it’ll just be done as part of the translation in future.

Ahh right, thanks. Transifex gave me about 20 options so I was pretty sure I hadn’t got it quite right. :slight_smile: I’ll sort out the .po file tonight and update the language selection.

Hi @HSMAndVLover and @shiprib, thanks! I figured that out last night when choosing what I can speak (and finished all items in Chinese (Taiwan)). I propose that we follow the names used in the Chinese Wikipedia and the Wikipedia in other Chinese dialects, as follows:

• Mandarin as used in China written in Simplified Chinese: 大陆简体
  • Mandarin as used in Taiwan written in Traditional Chinese: 台灣正體
  • Cantonese: 粵語, OR
  • (, if it is actually Mandarin as used in HK, written in Traditional Chinese,): 香港繁體