Mini Metro More: Custom map loading in Mini Metro!

UPDATE 3: Mini Metro More is available now! Download it here!

UPDATE 2: There’s more video in the comments below, including a Rio de Janiero and Lyon map, so please take a look! :innocent:

UPDATE: Here’s some gameplay for the Casablanca tramway map I’ve been working on recently!

Hi folks! The last few months, I’ve been working on a mod for Mini Metro that lets you load your own custom maps into the game, and it’s finally at a stage where I can really show it off.

A while back I made a post on the Mini Metro subreddit showing off one of my first maps, but I figured it’d be good to share the love around here too. Take a look at some gameplay of Kyiv!

The mod’s very close to ready for release and I have tons more maps and new features to share in the coming couple of weeks. If you’ve got any map ideas, let me hear them! Feel free to leave a comment if you’re interested in helping beta test, especially across platforms, or even better if you’re interested in building some maps of your own!

Thanks for reading and checking out the map. I’ll be back with more content very soon! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This looks awesome! Will we be able to fiddle with settings such as what upgrades appear and what stations appear?

Hi kucnjnj,

I am interested in testing out the beta, as I want to build some custom maps of cities which has metro but never got the spotlight by DPC.

Lemme know when its time.

Yup, absolutely! Each map loaded from a JSON file when the game starts, so it’s really easy to change how and when upgrades appear, which parts of the map spawn which stations, and so on.

I’m gonna be putting a public beta release up in about a week, so just hold tight until then! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

…in about a week

Wow, that sounds amazing! Cant wait!

Another update, here’s the Lyon map that I had the pleasure of working on with a Reddit user! When I release the mod I’d love to help some folks out to bring to life some of the city suggestions that always come up around here. If anyone’s got a burning idea let me know — if there’s enough demand I might put together a tutorial of some kind.

What a great idea! i can’t wait to play with your maps! i would love to see a tucson or phoenix map since i live in Arizona and i can even help with the design if you want. there are many landmarks in Tucson or Phoenix that can cause users to only be able to use tunnels or bridges, such as the Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson(Which will probably be blocked from actually putting lines on), Tempe Town lake and Salt and Gila Rivers in Phoenix, and major attractions such as the Downtowns and Universities in both cities. Tucson also has seasonal washes that you need to make bridges over such as the Rilito, Pantano and Santa Cruz Rivers.

Dude, your maps are indistinguishable from those made by DPC. But I have a ton of questions emerged from my own excitement:

• Is the map automatically configured for night mode, or does that need separate coding and graphics?
  • What about rearranging the maps to fit in-between the levels (as opposed to only be placed before London as the metros are arranged based on the date of the opening of the metro)?
  • Is it possible to encode native names for the cities such as below? (Like your first video for Kiev which has the native name, but other cities such as Lyon and Casablanca does not)
  • And one again following the tradition of DPC, is it possible to have the preview of the map to also include a partial schematic of the real-life metro but in Mini Metro style? Such as this (notice DC and Cairo):
  • Is the current beta build only available on a single platform, PC, or is this also possible for reverse compatibility for Linux and Mac (taking a rough assumption that its a JSON file, so it probably could)? Could Android and iOS versions of MM be configured to have the custom maps?

With that said, I would love to give my assistance and guidance for building some maps, especially for Kuala Lumpur and Penang, which are both located in Malaysia. I would happily beta test the game itself, for I am an avid fan of the game and interested of its expansion and customisation beyond of what is offered.

I may possibly use my technical knowledge to also build up some fictional and virtual maps (Tokyo Bay 2202? Wakanda? Hogwarts?). Oh, the possibility is endless!

UPDATE! It’s the Rio de Janeiro map! This one has permanent lines for the Rio Metro and Supervia commuter rail line into the city, while you build out the downtown tramway. This map shows off some of the new (and imo coolest) features that I’ve actually added into the game, so check it out!

Whoa! So many questions! Let me try and cover them all…

• Is the map automatically configured for night mode, or does that need separate coding and graphics?

Night mode theme stuff has to be set up when you put a map together, so it’s all handled and customizable! Setting up themes is as easy as picking RGB values — no coding involved if you wanna make maps like the base game!

• What about rearranging the maps to fit in-between the levels (as opposed to only be placed before London as the metros are arranged based on the date of the opening of the metro)?

For the Beta I just add the maps to the start of the list for ease of testing, but I’d like to have them sort by year a little later down the road!

• Is it possible to encode native names for the cities such as below? (Like your first video for Kiev which has the native name, but other cities such as Lyon and Casablanca does not)

Native names can be tricky — they require the characters to already exist in the font in the game, which isn’t always a given. For Lyon specifically I don’t have the native name because, well, it’s also “Lyon” in French as far as I know! For Casablanca I’m still trying to figure out how to get Arabic script to display right, or if the characters for the city’s name even exist in those font atlases. But assuming the name can be written in Standard English A-Z, then yes, native names are supported!

• And one again following the tradition of DPC, is it possible to have the preview of the map to also include a partial schematic of the real-life metro but in Mini Metro style? Such as this (notice DC and Cairo):

It may be surprising, but the preview windows are very tough to generate. I had the chance to chat over email with @peter from DPC, and in an early build auto-generating the preview from a list of points and station info (as I do currently for the water in the mod) starts to add up in terms of performance. Displaying water alone is a kind of compromise I made to get the beta out asap, but I want to have the metro schematics in the 1.0 release!

• Is the current beta build only available on a single platform, PC, or is this also possible for reverse compatibility for Linux and Mac (taking a rough assumption that its a JSON file, so it probably could)? Could Android and iOS versions of MM be configured to have the custom maps?

Right now I build for Mac and PC, and for the Steam and DRM-free builds of teach of those. PC/Mac/Linux builds don’t differ significantly from each other, so it’s pretty straightforward to put builds together for them, albeit time consuming. Because the game is built in Unity I rely on direct modifying the Mono assemblies, meaning that I have to manually replicate the changes via a decompiler. If there’s demand for Linux, I’d really love to hear and I can prioritize it.

Mobile, on the other hand, is much trickier. Display and menu features are notoriously annoying to mod with my setup, and that’s the big difference on mobile versus PC. So it would take some time.

• With that said, I would love to give my assistance and guidance for building some maps, especially for Kuala Lumpur and Penang, which are both located in Malaysia. […] also build up some fictional and virtual maps (Tokyo Bay 2202? Wakanda? Hogwarts?)

Those all sound amazing!!! Take a look at the release this weekend and let me know if you can make heads or tails of the map JSON files. I’ve been kicking around the idea of uploading a tutorial for mapmakers with the mod, and can try and get that out ASAP if there’s a lot of interest!

A city in Arizona could be very cool, I used to live there a long time ago!! I was kicking around the idea of adding in different types of obstacles — so you could setup a Bridge-type obstacle like water and a Tunnel-type obstacle like mountains, and then building a map around that idea! I had some Swiss cities in mind, but maybe somewhere in Arizona could use that feature too?

The proof of concept demonstrated here, for permanent lines in the city, is amazing at best. It surprises me as to why Mini Metro does not have this implemented in the base games, as it emulates modern cities where railroads are placed in decades (or centuries, for the case of London) before the introduction of metros or trams. It is fascinating to see this concept to take off, albeit in a mod.

(I’ve noticed something peculiar about Rio map, where it heads on a southeast direction when you click play and entering the map from the northwest. Normally, the player would be “transported” on the direction of Northeast~Southeast direction and entering the map on the West or the Southwest direction, as far as I had observed. Is this aspect of the map customisable, or is the direction and path randomly generated?)

Replying directly to your post,

Seems cool! I believe that it also affects the template for the line and station colours, yes?

Thats nice, guess that would be my wish-list for this mod for now.

I think you could probably consult @peter on the matter, as the name for Cairo as I remembered, displayed the Arabic script properly. Would be a nice addition if its there though.

Aside from A-Z, would it also work with A-Z characters with variants such as Ø, ä, ç etc? Cause I think it should do, as the font looks like Helvetica, which has support for the said characters. Chinese, Slavic and Arabic scripts may probably have a different fonts provided to render properly.

That’s pretty nice! Hopefully its as polished and lives up to the standards and aesthetics (which has already exceeded my expectations, coming from a mod) of the maps we have.

Could probably use a survey to gauge support. Or preferably ask DPC for Linux sales, lol.

Oh yes, definitely! I’ll have a look at them when you send it to me at the earliest possible timing. I can probably try and code it out (if I can, my coding skills are pretty horrendous, so some guidance can probably be placed over there). Designing the map is definitely something which I can do, but I would love to have further guidance and assistance if there are any special requirements or steps needed to be taken.

Judging from your mouse and scrolling speed, I believe that you’re using a Mac for the mod deployment, which coincidentally is also my software deployment device too. This should be easy for the both of us as I can test out the bugs on my end. But since I didn’t buy MM for Windows, you should probably find someone else who has Windows to test the mod there too (which I assume you may have, before me).

Please do! Hopefully it would spark the idea for other potential dreamers who wanted their dream city to be there on the map list without waiting for DPC (like me). I can go further to also provide my technical assistance in building and writing the guide for the mod too, if you wish.

Seems cool! I believe that it also affects the template for the line and station colours, yes?

Yup! Obstacle, station, background, outline, and line colours are all handled in one theme JSON file!

Aside from A-Z, would it also work with A-Z characters with variants such as Ø, ä, ç etc? Cause I think it should do, as the font looks like Helvetica, which has support for the said characters. Chinese, Slavic and Arabic scripts may probably have a different fonts provided to render properly.

The trick is that it’s not just the font having the characters. The game draws from an optimized atlas of characters that only includes glyphs used in the game. So if for a given font size I need a character that doesn’t exist anywhere else in any other language… I’m hooped. In fact, there’s no capital Q in the size-14 description font! Made my Qingdao map annoying to write a description for :stuck_out_tongue: It also makes most Chinese characters impossible because the vast majority are not used in either Chinese localization.

Ah well that sucks, sounds like the devs only puts in new atlases every time when there’s a new map.

Why not trying to add more glyphs in the game itself? Or is it an effort on its own?

Why not trying to add more glyphs in the game itself? Or is it an effort on its own?

It’s possible in theory, just really really hard! There’s dozens of atlases between different screen resolutions, font sizes and weights, etc. As much as I wanna, my priority has been to get the core gameplay up and running.

And on that note, the mod is available to download now, here! Check it out!

Been playing around with the new maps for the last few days. These new maps are awesome! Keep it up!

Quick note: this will need to be reinstalled after the latest update. Also the new update has caused the map names and descriptions to be mixed around. They still seem to work fine though.