Second square station spawns in early game next to first square station

I know I’ve brought this up on Twitter, but I thought I’d post here just to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I estimate that 50-75% of my games have this behavior, which I’ve not noticed in pre-alpha12 builds.

Basically, somewhere around ~80 passengers served (in the second week of the game), a second square station will spawn basically right next to the initial square station. Frequently, this spawn also appears to “prevent” a square station from spawning on the opposite side of the river until late game (750+ passengers).

This isn’t necessarily a bug, since it can be viewed as just one of the many random map possibilities. But the frequency since alpha12 arrived feels a lot like a pattern, and it is definitely an awkward pattern, if so. :smile:

Mininum distace between the square stations

Are you sure it’s not confirmation bias?

As the placement of the second square is pretty important I usually notice its placement too. But sometimes it’s bad, sometimes it’s good. And that goes for all new stations added - sometimes new stations seem to pop up in the worst possible places, but sometimes new stations seem to pop up in the best possible places.

One thing I did notice was that it happens quite often that all five “unique” stations are on the north side of the river. Could be coincidence, could be me, but I don’t know. I don’t really care, but I just noticed it (and since we’re talking station placement anyway…).

am I sure? no. but as a scientist, I’m aware of the phenomenon, and I like to think I’m fairly self-aware as a tester. it’s been noticeable enough that I wanted to see if anyone else could corroborate my experience.

Sorry @petergaultney, haven’t had a chance to look in to this. Clearing out some bugs first. It’s on the list of things to do! I’ll let you know when I’ve checked out the code and whether there’s something wrong, or if the universe is just against you.

Beta 5 bugs/issues

I’ve noticed that squares are often rather close to each other, but never quite that close as in your screenshots (i.e., not right beside each other), and not always near each other either, they do also spawn elsewhere (I’d seen your Twitter conversation so I’ve been keeping an eye on Square placement for a few days).

Even in my own estimation, this is a super-low priority. I was hoping a bunch of people would come out of the woodwork to corroborate, but so far that is not happening. :slight_smile: Don’t waste too much time on it - I’ll just go on assuming I’m imagining design in the chaos until proven otherwise.

It’s happened to me a couple of times recently. Here’s an example:

Please let every game have at least 1 square under the river…

And again; and what a poor Circle distribution :frowning:

I think the issue is really that having several Circle, or Triangle, or whatever stations makes it hard for the player to figure out where passengers want to go. If the only information on the board is that a passenger at a Circle station wants to go to a Triangle station, there’s no way to know whether that passenger will take a northbound train or a southbound train – and the confusion gets worse if the passenger is at a transfer station. It would be better to make all stations the same shape (possibly changing to another shape if they become hubs or termini) and then giving each station a number shown in the same color as the line. The numbers should be reshuffled each time a line is changed, so they are always in order. Then a passenger waiting at a station will be coded so the player knows that passenger wants to go to Green-9, for example.

Normally people will go to the nearest station in terms of stops.

Recently I’ve been experiencing the same problem with square stations, and it seems to have gotten worse and more frequent in the last few beta versions. It occurs in every map, and in both commuter and scenic modes. Also, it isn’t just limited to the second square - now the third, fourth and even the fifth squares are being placed close together! The worst it has been was in my last scenic game I played in London. Here are some screenshots:

As you can see, all five square stations were placed next to each other in the centre of the north side of the river. This has become really frustrating, especially in commuter mode because it’s now very difficult to beat my high scores with inefficient lines trying to cope with the poor distribution. I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

In my very next game, it’s happened again. This time it was New York in commuter mode. The first two squares were placed next to each other in central/lower Manhattan, and then squares 3, 4 and 5 were all placed together in northwest Manhattan. Distributions like these are now occurring in every game I play.

Happens regularly. Here is my favourite. I nicknamed it “Squarehattan”

That’s meant to happen in New York! It represents the Financial District. When the squares are spread out it reduces the challenge to triviality and the game may as well be in zen mode. I’d be lying if i said concentrating the oh-so precious squares wasn’t also meant to frustrate players a little. :slight_smile:

I think it’s better now. Tunnels are more needed, so that upgrade becomes more intersting, which means the upgrade decision process becomes more interesting.

As a side result (or may it be the main result?), the loops strategy is a lot less useful now. Non-looped lines that stretch over the map seem to work better now. Which I like.

WOW!So cool
but some problem in the blue line,it is a circle.